- Always wash your hands before touching or cleaning your piercing.
- Try to avoid touching your piercing or moving the jewelry while it is healing.
- Avoid pools, lakes, rivers, hot tubs and bathtubs while your piercing is healing
- Change bedding/pillow cases often and do your best to avoid sleeping on your new piercing.
- Keep hair tied/clipped off of ear piercings.
- Avoid harsh chemicals like rubbing alcohol, iodine, hydrogen peroxide, Listerine, antibiotic ointments, antibacterial soaps, Gly-oxide and pierced ear solutions. These items will not help your piercing heal; instead they will prolong your healing time.
Signs of normal healing:
- initial swelling.
- Discharge/"crusties" that can be white to slightly yellow in color.
- small amounts of bruising or bleeding.
Things to look out for:
People will often mistake irritation for an infection. Irritation is generally easy to pinpoint and fix. If you suspect your piercing is not healing properly do not hesitate to contact me. Infection is not common in body piercings, and is sometimes(but not always) associated with:
- excessive redness
- warmth around the piercing site
- extreme pain
- dark/green discharge
- excessive swelling
How to clean your piercing:
- Clean your piercing with a saline solution (1/8-1/4 tsp sea salt to 1 cup of warm water). This should be done 1-2 times per day.
- The best time to clean your piercing is after a warm shower. Dip a clean paper towel or gauze pad in your saline solution and hold on your piercing(front and back) for five minutes.
- DO NOT use cotton.
- Mix your solution fresh each time you clean your piercing and use a clean cup.
- The piercing should be cleaned 1-2 times per day until the piercing is no longer getting "crusties"(2 months minimum).
- Whenever you shower, be sure to flush your piercing with warm water for 2-5 minutes before getting out to rinse soap or other products out of it.
- Rinse your mouth with fresh water after eating or drinking anything.
- Twice per day, rinse your mouth with an alcohol-free mouth wash.
- You can also rinse with your sea salt water solution 2-3 times per day.
- Do not play with your piercing
- Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol during the healing period.